Casseroles are amazing meals! They are easy to prepare, full of yummy ingredients, they make enough for several servings, and they are usually blended with some sort of cheese. Mmmm cheese! This Confetti Chicken Casserole is a winner on all points!
Trying to find a casserole that is both ridiculously delicious and healthy is certainly a challenge. I fell in love with this casserole for it’s festive amount of vegetables. There are a total of 6 veggies mixed into this dish, and I promise the kids won’t even realize it! The cheese is minimal, keeping this casserole rather light. If omitting the cheese altogether, I’m sure this dish will still taste amazing. For another knock-out casserole option, try my Southern Squash Casserole featuring a bounty of fresh summer squash!
Confetti Chicken Casserole is loaded with rotisserie chicken, colorful sautéed veggies, crispy bacon, and melted cheddar. It is one of my favorite casserole recipes and I always come back for seconds and thirds and fourths! It’s seriously that delicious! Be the pride of your potluck with a dish that’ll have everyone begging you for the recipe.
Favorite Healthy Recipes
How to make Confetti Chicken Casserole
This casserole has a little bit of everything and the best part is that it’s chock full of healthy vegetables! Chickens, vegetables, cheese, and bacon…oh my! There is a little bit of prep work involved, but after that everything goes easily into one dish to bake. A lighter casserole means that you can serve it as a lunch or a dinner.
- Cutting Board – used to chop the vegetables
- Mixing Bowls – used to separate ingredients
- Baking Sheet – used to cook the bacon
- Sauté Pan – used to sauté the onion, garlic, and bell peppers
- Large Mixing Bowl – used to blend all ingredients together
- Rectangular Casserole Dish – used to bake the casserole
- Meat – rotisserie chicken, crispy bacon
- Veggies – red onion, red bell peppers, garlic, corn, spinach, green onions
- Cheese – cheddar
- Other – olive oil, mayonnaise, salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook strips of bacon in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes, or until crispy. Drain off excess grease. Pour remaining bacon fat from pan into a heat-proof grease can to use in future recipes. You can use the stovetop method for frying bacon if your prefer, but the oven method is much easier and without all of grease splatter. Crumble bacon and set aside to sprinkle on top of casserole.
- Dice the red bell peppers and red onion. The red onion will add a bit of a “zing” to the casserole. If you prefer a milder yellow onion, you may use that instead. The substitute will not have an affect on the final dish.
- Mince the cloves of garlic. When working with garlic cloves, remember to remove the peeling that surrounds each clove prior to cutting.
- Slice the green onions into very thin slices and set aside for garnishing.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons of oil (I used olive oil) and sauté the vegetables until tender and slightly golden brown in color. I like to get mine a little bit singed to give off a “fire-roasted” flavor.
- Shred the rotisserie chicken using a fork or by simply using your fingers. I used a chicken bought from the deli department of our local grocery store. A normal sized bird produced the 4 cups of meat needed for this recipe. Some delis offer flavored rotisserie chickens. Feel free to mix things up and use a Lemon Pepper chicken, or other spicy option.
- In a large bowl, stir together the shredded chicken, sautéed vegetables, corn, spinach, mayonnaise, and salt and pepper until well blended. This is a great recipe to experiment with. If you prefer certain vegetables over others, feel free to substitute. You could easily use kale in place of the spinach or use green bell peppers instead of the red.
- Transfer chicken mixture to a lightly greased large casserole dish. Top with crispy bacon crumbles and shredded cheese. Bake Confetti Chicken Casserole at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly. Sprinkle top with green onions.
Confetti Chicken Casserole
- 4 cups rotisserie chicken shredded
- 1 red onion diced
- 2 red bell peppers diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups corn frozen and thawed, or canned and drained
- 2 cups spinach trimmed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 6 strips bacon crumbled
- 1 large green onion sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat add the olive oil and sauté the onions, peppers, and garlic. Cook until vegetables are tender and slightly browned.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together chicken, sautéed vegetables, corn, spinach, mayonnaise, and salt and pepper until well combined.
- Spread chicken mixture into a large greased casserole dish. Top with shredded cheese and crumbled cooked bacon and bake for 30 minutes, or until cheese becomes bubbly. Garnish with sliced green onions.